The importance of using human studies and not animal studies as evidence for practice change is borne out in this literature review.
Effects of prehospital adrenaline administration on out-of-hospital cardiac arrest outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis
So Epi increases rate of ROSC but does it do much else?
The most effective rescuer’s position for cardiopulmonary resuscitation provided to patients on beds: a randomized, controlled, crossover mannequin study
So we guess that EMTs and Paramedics have been doing it right all this time…
Average mean arterial pressure > 70mmHg was associated with good neurological outcome after ROSC.
Compression-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation vs standard cardiopulmonary resuscitation: an updated meta-analysis of observational studies
Compression-only CPR results in similar survival rate as standard CPR in the cardiac etiology subgroup in this study.
No Benefit to Prehospital Initiation of Therapeutic Hypothermia in Out-of-hospital Cardiac Arrest: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
Is there any benefit to initiating therapeutic hypothermia in the prehospital setting? This systematic review says possibly not using current evidence.
A systematic review and meta-analysis of audiovisual feedback device use by health care professionals during CPR
Do audiovisual feedback devices improve CPR quality?
The second of two summaries covering articles in Resuscitation in 2013 covering areas such as ACLS, ECMO, mechanical CPR, post ROSC care and prognostication.
The first of two summaries covering articles in Resuscitation in 2013 covering areas such as prevention of cardiac arrest, basic life support, defibrillation and cardiac arrest in special circumstances.
CIRC Trial: Manual vs. integrated automatic load-distributing band CPR in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.
Mechanical CPR devices are the latest in pre-hospital technology. Common sense would say they’re better at CPR than manual CPR. The LINC trial says otherwise. The CIRC trial notes they result in statistically equivalent survival to hospital discharge…but it has it’s weaknesses.
- Blogs (40)
- Case Studies (8)
- Featured Article (23)
- How-To (47)
- FOAM (8)
- News (117)
- Conference Tweets (31)
- Pharmacology (1)
- Adrenaline (1)
- Research (180)
- Advanced Practice (2)
- Airway Management (6)
- Anaphylaxis (2)
- Cardiac (15)
- Community Paramedic (2)
- Critical Care Paramedic (4)
- Diagnostics (3)
- Dispatch (1)
- ECG (4)
- Education (10)
- EMS Operations (2)
- End-of-Life Care (3)
- Geriatrics (9)
- Guidelines (22)
- HEMS (4)
- Mass Casualty (2)
- Medical Conditions (5)
- Mental Health (7)
- Military & Tactical (2)
- Neonatal (1)
- Neuro (11)
- Obstetrics (1)
- Paediatrics (4)
- Pain Management (4)
- Poster Presentations (5)
- Professionalism (5)
- Remote, Industrial & Austere (6)
- Respiratory (5)
- Resuscitation (27)
- Rural (3)
- Safety (3)
- Sepsis (7)
- Shock (2)
- Simulation (7)
- Sports Medicine (1)
- Trauma (20)
- Reviews (6)
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Free access: Resuscitation Today Vol 3 Issue 2 (27/06/16)
- Free CPD at the Emergency Services Show (23/05/16)
- Canadian Paramedicine Feb/Mar 2016 – Open Access Issue (11/04/16)
- Free access: Resuscitation Today Volume 3 Issue 1 (01/04/16)
- Introducing the Irish Journal of Paramedicine (22/11/15)
- Paramedic students…write something! (28/04/16)
- Understanding diagnostic tests 2: likelihood ratios, pre- and post-test probabilities and their use in clinical practice (30/01/15)
- Understanding diagnostic tests 1: sensitivity, specificity and predictive values (11/12/14)
- GRADE guidelines – best practices using the GRADE framework (22/11/14)
- How to get started with EMS research – JEMS (16/05/14)